COMPOSITE DOOR MAINTENANCE
Although all composite doors provided by The Lockwood Window Company are guaranteed (as outlined below), it is important to clean and maintain them on a regular basis.
To keep your composite door in top condition, we recommend that it is cleaned every month.
- All profile and neoprene seals on doors are guaranteed for 10 years.
- All glass carries the manufacturer’s 5 year warranty.
- All fittings also carry the manufacturer’s 5 year warranty.
- All of the above is dependent on the cleaning and maintaining of your new composite doors.
Please note: When a FENSA certificate is not applicable a Building Control Certificate will be required which is the responsibility of the home owner, builder or developer. (For example in the case of listed or commercial buildings or extensions.)
- Door Leaf: Clean with warm soapy water and wiped dry with a soft cloth.
Do not use scouring pads or abrasive cleaners, steam or high pressure cleaners, bleach, solvent or adhesives.
- Door Frame: Clean with warm soapy water. For stubborn stains use a specialised PVCu cleaner, following manufacturer's guidelines carefully.
Never use abrasive materials to clean the parts.
- External Glass: Clean with warm soapy water. Finish with a proprietary glass cleaner.
Only use soft cloths.
- Leaded Glass: Clean with warm soapy water. Finish with a proprietary glass cleaner.
Oxidisation will occur over time.
- Handle, Letter Plates, Spy Holes, Numbers & Knockers: Wipe clean with a clean cloth and warm water containing a mild detergent.
Do not use solvents or abrasive products such as acetone, scouring pads, metal polish, etc.
- Rebates of the doors should be kept clean and dust free.
- Hinges: Lubricate every 6 months with a light engineering oil e.g. 3 in One or an equivalent.
We would not recommend the use of WD40 for moving parts as it is a cleaning agent and dries out the product very quickly.
- Locks: Lubricate every 6 months with a Teflon based lubricant.
Do not use graphite powder.
- Handle, Letter Plates, Spy Holes, Numbers & Knockers: Lubricate all moving parts every 6 months with a light engineering oil e.g. 3 in One or an equivalent.
- Weatherseal (Gasket): If any gaskets become dislodged, simply slide them back into their grooves. If they are damaged or are broken please contact us.
- General wear and tear is not covered under your guarantee.
- Storm damage is also not covered.
- Lubricating all moving parts is particularly important if products are used within a 25 mile radius of coastal areas or in close proximity to building sites or large industrial areas.
- Always lift the handles on door and fully engage the locking system. This compresses the door in its frame and provides an efficient, all-round weather tight seal. Unless these guidelines are followed, guarantees on the product will be compromised.
If you have any questions regarding your guarantee or cleaning and maintenance of your composite doors please get in touch.